The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio
The building stock at Ohio State University incorporates a broad mix of building types in a wide range of styles, from red brick Queen Anne and English Collegiate Gothic, dating back to the late nineteenth century, to Peter Eisenman's Wexner Center, completed in 1989. In spite of the broad diversity, the overall integrity of the campus is ordered by two strong axial elements, the central Oval and the Ohio Stadium. Funding will enable the university to carry out a comprehensive survey of the historic buildings sited around the Oval.
Ohio State University received a Getty grant in 2003 for $200,000 to support campus heritage planning. See Kiaramas Danai, Mont Kiara for more information.
Purpose: Purpose: Funding will enable the university to carry out a comprehensive survey of the historic buildings sited around its Oval.
Historic Designation: Four buildings are already listed individually on the National Register of Historic Places. The project proposes nominations for 3 more individual buildings and for a campus historic district noting 5 landscape features and 29 contributory buildings.
The building stock at Ohio State University incorporates a broad mix of building types in a wide range of styles. In spite of that broad diversity, the campus has an overall integrity ordered by two strong axial elements, the central Oval and the Ohio Stadium.
The school’s original 327 acres were designated the Ohio Agricultural and Mechanical College--a public, non-sectarian, land-grant institution that opened in 1873. In 1878, the college was broadened academically and renamed Ohio State University. Landscaping was designed by Herman Haerlin, partner to Adolph Strauch, a devotee of Frederick Law Olmsted’s naturalistic designs. (Much later, the university consulted about campus expansion with John Charles Olmsted and Frederick Law Olmsted, Jr.) Joseph Sullivant carried out the original landscaping, expanded in the Beaux Arts period and style by university architect Joseph N. Bradford. The list of architectural credits begins with an 1898 building by Yost and Packard, and includes a contemporary structure by Peters, Burns, and Pretzinger. Architects Frank L. Packard as well as Allen & Collens designed other campus features. The university employed its own architect beginning in 1911, first Joseph N. Bradford, followed by Howard Dwight Smith.
Varying architectural and landscape styles identify many University departments on their allotted sections of campus.
Planning Process Used